Saturday 9 April 2011

The Path to the Ancient Gods of Albion

Ghosts are a national treasure and they should be honoured and preserved as such, to explore the ghost-lore of Albion is to embark on the path toward its ancient Gods.

Welcome to the teachings of Sir Swithin Swift. These are the words of an enlightened man. I gained liberation after I left my native Albion to follow in the footsteps of my maternal Uncle to India. Once my true, divine nature had been realised, the Blessed Powers guided me back to the land of my birth. My awakened spirit was now sensitive to the ancient Gods of this land and they communed with me, as they communed with my uncle before me. They revealed to me, a path to enlightenment that can be trod on these shores. In these teachings I set forth the path to spiritual awakening as revealed to me by the Gods of ancient Britain.


My previous posts recounted my work on the haunting at the Magazines hotel. Unseen and none- human forces acting upon the hostelry, awoke a visionary world within my imagination. In confronting the darkness and in invoking the aid of protective deities (whom I shall discuss below), I employed instinctively the subtle energy centres known to Eastern thought as the chakras. Indeed the symbolism of a chakra – that of Svadisthana - was actually projected into my consciousness as I struggled against the blank pull of the darkness.

If any reader is unfamiliar with the term Chakra: they are subtle or spiritual centres vibrating within and beyond the human frame. They rise from the base of the spine to the crown of one’s head. The powerful, spiritual energy known as the Kundalini, or the Shakti – the divine presence of Mother Nature within the living – rises up the chakras, its ascent liberating our true, divine self from the clutches of the ego.


Should any seek to awaken their chakras and one should always approach any such exercises with care, ‘shutting down’ or reversing any powers that one has conjured, one should imagine a light ascending up one’s spine or down into one’s skull. One could, for example, meditate upon a star in the night sky and then imagine its light beaming into one’s head and slowly moving down through one’s body; alternatively one could visualise a ‘serpent of light’ uncoiling among the roots and rising up a tree in full leaf, until it passes into the sky above.


Your teacher, dear student, prefers to imagine a robed lady, embodying the spiritual nature of Mother Nature, the Celestial Mother Herself, also known as Lady Wisdom, stood over a bowl on a stone plinth, holding a staff that is speared with light. The light from the staff passes down through one’s body and as it rises again, the bowl emits a growing radiance, which draws one’s consciousness up into a communion with the vast, egoless, ‘none-self’.

An enlightened practicinor such as myself can instinctively awaken the chakras, as happened in the haunted inn. There were two levels of haunting at the ‘Mags’: residual traces of people who had dwelt at the inn or in the surrounding area and a presence that lurked on a deeper, pre-human level. It was this latter presence, like a deep stratum of rock beneath the soil and on which later accumulations rested, that I overcame. It was this presence which attuned me to the mythic, archetypal nature of my experiences.

In short, in exploring the ghost world, I encountered that of Albion’s Gods.

After investigating the inn I understood that whilst there (and in the house before it – see my previous teachings) I had communed with three distinct, divine or daemonic presences in the subtle realms. The first was female, whom I identified with both the Goddess Kali and the Shakti; She was an expression of the Goddess of death and destruction, the maw which crushes and rends, splinters and swallows, yet who will spark new life, energising the land without, releasing the spiritual energies within. It was the dark aspect of this being which allowed me to face the monstrosity that was the second of the Gods, while the energising aspect of the Goddess allowed me to transcend and conquer this second force. In both the house and the inn there was a presence in the darkness that grasped and bound the spirits of the living. It could be perceived by the sensitive as a debilitating, depressive force and I identified this as an aspect of Saturn, the overthrown God of the Latin peoples. Whilst seeking to grasp and merge the spirit into its own presence, there was also a dual aspect of this deity; just as Saturn was the lord of the Golden Age, the father of Jupiter, grand-sire to Apollo, so this presence was equally dual-natured. For once accepted, this ‘Saturn’ freed the true self, the soul within from the snares of the ego and in the following selfless abandon, the third deity could be apprehended. Once the urge to grasp at one’s mortal existence has been overcome, the enlightened mind perceives a profound, primordial light underlying all that is. My imagination personified this power as a moon goddess and I have called upon Her using the names of Sophia and also Minerva (of which I will reveal more in a future lesson). Indeed, the first Goddess I sketched can be thought of as aspects of the waning and the waxing moon respectively, the other, the full moon. What is key however, is that once free of the ego, the acolyte can encounter a profound blankness which feels like the cosmos is a veil behind and through which a rich luminesence radiates.

Raised, apparently in a rational age, any of you could be forgiven for asking if these Gods ‘real’. If so, are they derived from a particular pantheon. I offer no pantheon in these teachings, I simply document my own experiences on these shores, experiences which retuned and enriched my enlightenment. The gods are as real as they need to be and I aim to offer guidance and techniques which will assist the reader in attuning to the powers woven into the stones and hills, the woods and waters of the scared isle.

I should also add that whilst I have employed my own Hindu frame of reference in these posts, I have encountered specifically British faces of the Absolute and as a result I wish to employ epithets that are native, or at least European. This is not because I wish to denigrate the beliefs of the East, far from it, Hinduism was my teacher and I would recommend Hinduism for all. Many however, will not be comfortable with the deities of a different culture and the Gods themselves should be allowed a diverse range of habitats in which they can dwell, thus I will hence forth refer to the Gods using general epithets.

Before I conclude this teaching, I should address the ghostly traces of humans at the inn. As with the house before, I liberated the celestial fire of each which remained. I did not exorcise them or banish them or anything like that. Ghosts are a national treasure and they should be honoured and preserved as such. Having since returned to the ‘Mags’, I can confirm that there remains a residue of these spirits. Those with the gift may be able to sense them, however that which was of the Divine has returned to its true home.

No comments:

Post a Comment